The Carillon Mitral Contour System® is a right-heart transcatheter mitral valve repair (TMVr) device designed to treat the main cause of functional mitral regurgitation (MR) in patients with MR grades 2+ to 4+.
Designed to reshape the anatomy and improve function of the mitral apparatus from the coronary sinus, the Carillon System reduces regurgitant volume and induces favorable left ventricular remodeling without compromising the valve3, 4, 5 or future treatment options.6, 7
Using familiar catheter techniques, the device can be recaptured and retrieved prior to release.
Distal and proximal anchors, connected by a shaping ribbon, utilize the heart’s venous anatomy to cinch the mitral apparatus.
Simple Right-Heart Procedure
Easy to use with a short learning curve and no transseptal puncture
REDUCE FMR Clinical Trial
The Carillon System is the first TMVr therapy to demonstrate favorable left ventricular remodeling at one year and significant reduction in regurgitant volume in a blinded, randomized, sham-controlled trial (REDUCE FMR). The trial met its primary endpoint and results were consistent with the prior TITAN and TITAN II single-arm, multi-center studies.3, 4, 5
Key inclusion criteria
- MR Grade* 2+ to 4+
- NYHA Class II–IV
- LVEF ≤50%
*assessed by site
Change in regurgitant volume at 1 year, as assessed by blinded echo core lab
120 patients in EU and Australia randomized 3:1
- 87 randomized to treatment (Carillon System)
- 33 randomized to sham control (guideline-directed medical therapy)
Significant Reduction in MR
Mean Change in RV at 1 Year (ITT)
Significant Favorable LV Remodeling
Mean Change in LVEDV at 1 Year (ITT)
Mean Change in LVESV at 1 Year (ITT)
Recurrent HF Hospitalizations and Total HF Admissions
Recurrent HF Hospitalizations (AT)
Rate of total HF Admissions (AT) (Per Patient Year)
AT = As-Treated Population (n=106)
ITT = Intention-to-Treat Population (n=120)
Positive Safety Profile
- 98.9% freedom from device-related MAE through 1 year*
- Low MAE rate at 30 days and 12 months in treatment-only group
*Events adjudicated by independent committee as related to device.
Additional Clinical Data
Increased mitral valve tenting is associated with an improvement in regurgitant volume with the Carillon System9
A retrospective analysis of 125 Carillon patients enrolled in the TITAN, TITAN II and REDUCE FMR clinical studies assessed the relationship between baseline tenting area and tenting height (coaptation distance) on percent regurgitant volume (RV) change and percent left ventricular end diastolic volume (LVEDV) change.
Quantitative analysis demonstrated acute effectiveness of the Carillon System in 83% of FMR patients8
A single-center study of 30 patients with moderate to severe FMR used transthoracic echocardiography (TTE) to measure regurgitant fraction (RF) by 2D-PISA method before and directly after Carillon implantation. Results showed a significant reduction in RF and acute MR benefit in 83% of patients.
2. Trichon BH, Felker GM, Shaw LK, Cabell CH, O’Connor CM. Relation of frequency and severity of mitral regurgitation to survival among patients with left ventricular systolic dysfunction and heart failure. Am J Cardiol. 2003 Mar 1;91(5):538-43. [MR 3+ and 4+]
5. Witte K, et al. A Randomized Sham-Controlled Study of Percutaneous Mitral Annuloplasty in Functional Mitral Regurgitation: The REDUCE FMR Trial. J Am Coll Cardiol HF. DOI: 10.1016/j.jchf.2019.06.011.
8. Kreyer K, Stobe S, Pfeiffer D, Laufs U, Hagendorff A; Treatment of functional mitral regurgitation by the Carillon Mitral Contour Device – an echocardiographic analysis of acute effects. Poster presentation. Universitat Leipzig. DGK 2019.
10. Data on file. Percent change calculated by averaging individual patient percent changes.